Mississippi Mudslide Cake
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup hot water
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon instant coffee (dry)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk, room temperature
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
Kahlua whipped cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Bailey Irish Cream liqueur
- 2 Tablespoons Kahlua liqueur
- 1 Tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cornstarch
- 6 ounces dark chocolate chips (3/4 cup)
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup chopped chocolate sandwich cookies (Oreos) or just serve with your favorite ice cream on top.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine, sugar and eggs, beating on high speed for 3 minutes.
- Combine, hot water, cocoa powder, instant coffee and salt. Add to sugar mixture until well combined.
- Turn mixer down to low speed and add flour, baking soda and baking powder, mixing just until combined, making sure to scrape down sides of the bowl.
- Add oil, buttermilk and vanilla. Mix just until combined.
- Dived batter evenly between 3 greased 9 inch cake pans.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 22-25 minutes, until toothpick incerted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and let cakes cool for 15 minutes
- Then invert onto racks to cool completely.
Kahlua Whipped Cream
- Before making whipped cream, place large mixing bowl and beaters/whisk attachment in the freezer for 10 minutes to chill.
- Place whipping cream in chilled bowl and beat on high speed until soft peaks begin to form.
- Turn mixer speed down to medium while adding remaining ingredients
- Mix until stiff peaks form but being careful to not over beat.
- Refrigerate whipped cream until time to assemble cake.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl (use a 2 cup measuring cup) place chocolate chips and cream
- . Heat in microwave on high for 45 seconds, until cream is hot but not boiling.
- If needed, heat an additional 15 seconds.
- Remove from microwave and let sit for 2 minutes before stirring until chocolate is completely smooth and all chocolate is melted.
- Let cool before using
- Place one layer of cooled cake on cake plate.
- Use 1/3 of whipped cream, spread whipped cream on top of cake to within 1/2 of edge of cake (this will spread with the additional weight of the other layers.)
- Sprinkle whipped cream with 1/3 of chopped cookies and then drizzle with 1/3 of chocolate ganache.
- Repeat with next 2 layers.
- Refrigerate cake until ready to serve
Dessert Recipes Easy Dessert Recipes
Many have their own different ways to make Mississippi Mud Cake. This is just one recipe out of many but I did enjoy eating this while I was young.